Golden milk is a great way to get the health benefits of turmeric. You may help reduce inflammation, and alleviate or prevent symptoms of arthritis by adding golden milk to your regular diet. Keep reading to know why and how to prepare this delicious and healthy drink.
Turmeric or Curcuma longa is a golden yellow spice known for its bright yellow pigmentation and anti-inflammatory health benefits derived from its main constituent, curcumin. Though turmeric only contains about 3% curcumin by weight, adding a little pinch of black pepper can boost its benefits by increasing its bioavailability by about 2000%. You’ve probably encountered turmeric in Indian or Asian dishes but it also has a long history in traditional medicine
A growing body of scientific evidence suggests that turmeric and its major compounds, such as curcumin, may help alleviate or prevent symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, a long-term autoimmune condition that causes inflammation, pain, and stiffness in the joints. Here is a great article about recent research studies on turmeric:
Golden milk is prepared with turmeric and warming spices like cinnamon and ginger, I absolutely love the flavor! It has been used in both, traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine for centuries, but has recently made its way to the Western world due to its natural anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-arthritic benefits. You can drink it any time of day, but I find it to be especially nice before bed. Coconut milk is also a great choice to make golden milk because it is rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which reduce inflammation and support weight loss.
EASY GOLDEN MILK RECIPE
This quick and easy recipe is optimized for absorption. Turmeric may stain blenders and countertops but it will fade.
- 2 cups milk as almond pecan, coconut, or dairy
- 1-1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/4 inch piece of grated ginger root or ¼ tsp ginger powder
- A pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1-2 tsp raw honey or maple syrup to taste (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a stainless-steel pot.
- Heat the milk on low or medium heat and bring it slowly to a simmer. Don't boil the milk. Continue simmering for 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat. Drink while the milk is still warm.